Santa Rosa Kidnapping Attorney
Protect Your Rights with a Criminal Defense Lawyer
Under California’s Three Strikes Law, kidnapping is considered a strike, which ultimately means that a conviction could result in a life sentence if an individual has other past offenses. Kidnapping involves taking and holding another person by fear or force and moving them to another location. This could easily be a mistake in a child custody disagreement or other situation.
If you have been charged with kidnapping, get experienced representation from a Santa Rosa criminal defense attorney from my firm right away.
What constitutes kidnapping?
A qualified defense lawyer can aid you in navigating the California criminal justice system and inform you of your legal options. With such complicated charges, it is often best to have a legal representative beside you throughout the process. That is why you need my firm to help you build a strong defense against your kidnapping charges.
The California legal code defines kidnapping in the following ways:
- Simple kidnapping: Taking, detaining, and transporting a persona against their will. This crime carries up to eight years in jail; if the victim is under 14 years old the penalties will increase.
- Aggravated kidnapping: Involves kidnapping for ransom or extortion, which is a felony punishable by life in jail without parole.
- Carjacking kidnapping: Taking a person hostage or kidnapping during a carjacking incident. This charge carries a life sentence.
- Extortion through posing as a kidnapper: When a person pretends to be a kidnapper to extort money, it can result in criminal charges that carry up to four years in jail.
- Parental kidnapping: This crime occurs when a child is kidnapped by a parent who does not have legal custody over the child or violates their custody agreement by taking a child away.
The circumstances of the crime will impact how severe the penalties are. Usually, kidnapping will be considered a violent felony, with a double sentence for any previous offenses. A third strike can result in 25 years to life in prison.
Defending Your Rights & Your Future
When your freedom is at stake, you need a Santa Rosa criminal defense lawyer who can provide a robust defense for you, no matter the circumstances.
Defense strategies we can employ include:
- Consent to the transportation
- Lack of intent
- Insufficient evidence
- Mistaken identity
- Proof of being legally entrusted with the custody of the kidnapped person
At The Law Office of Joe Bisbiglia, I have more than a decade of experience defending those charged with misdemeanor and felony crimes such as kidnapping. I have handled thousands of criminal cases and can provide the legal defense you need to protect your freedom.
Call my office now and set up your consultation to go over your case!